AB013. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration: a retrospective study of its outcomes from a single tertiary center
Poster Presentation

AB013. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration: a retrospective study of its outcomes from a single tertiary center

Faisal K. Romancap, Crisosotomo E. Arcilla Jr, Anthony R. Perez, Dante G. Ang

Division of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of the Philippines-Philippine General Hospital (UP-PGH), Manila, Philippines


Background: This study aimed to evaluate the safety and short-term outcomes of laparoscopic common bile duct exploration-laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LCBDE-LC) in a single tertiary institution.

Methods: This is a retrospective study of patients who underwent LCBDE-LC for gallstones with concomitant choledocholithiasis from September 2016 to September 2017 in the Division of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of the Philippines-Philippine General Hospital.

Results: Twenty-three selected patients underwent an elective LCBDE-LC, with an average age of 45 (range, 17–75) years. Majority of the patients were female, 69.6% (16/23). Only 21.7% (5/23) had comorbid diseases; majority of the patients were ASA I, 73.9% (17/23) with a mean body mass index of 21.8. Complete stone clearance was achieved in 91.3% (21/23) with open conversion rate of 8.7% (2/23). The mean operative time was 245 min (range, 130–355 min) with minimal blood loss (median of 100 mL). Only four patients (17.4%) had T-tube inserted, the rest (82.6%, 19/23) had primary closure of the choledochotomy. The median length of postoperative hospital stay was two days with no mortality. Three patients with primary closure (13.0%) had bile leak monitored on JP drain; all were managed conservatively. All primary outcomes were comparable to the results reported in various studies.

Conclusions: LCBDE-LC is a safe and equivalently effective surgical armamentarium that can also be offered as a treatment option in selected patients with gallstones and concomitant choledocholithiasis.

Keywords: Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration (LCBDE); laparoscopy; choledocholithiasis


doi: 10.21037/ales.2018.AB013
Cite this abstract as: Romancap FK, Arcilla CE Jr, Perez AR, Ang DG. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration: a retrospective study of its outcomes from a single tertiary center. Ann Laparosc Endosc Surg 2018;3:AB013.